Thursday 27 March 2014

Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut





The focus of Slaughterhouse V was war and I have to say, I have never seen this subject so thoroughly or so beautifully examined in such a short space or in a work of fiction before. The plot itself revolved around Dresden and there is  semi biographical element adds a richness to this text which makes it completely unique.  However, for me, the writing itself is what made me love this book. Each word was carefully selected and fuelled with meaning. There was no excess, it just simply was, which somehow managed to make the novel all the more haunting. 

This is undoubtedly a must read. 

I have left my favourite quotation to give you a taste for the writing style:

"We will all live together, no matter how dead we may sometimes seem to be"

No comments:

Post a Comment