Wednesday 18 December 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling

I think everyone knows by now that this book is written by JK Rowling. I am a massive Harry Potter fan and prior to this novel, I had serious reservations about reading any of her work post the series because I did not want to have an abrupt end to what in my mind had been a fantastic author reader relationship. It is due to this I have never read the Casual Vacancy, but I was going through a murder mystery phase so decided to purchase this book. This was a fantastic decision.  The novel follows the tale of a private detective who is asked to reinvestigate the death of the famous LuLa Landry who supposedly committed suicide three months before the novel commences. Both Rowling’s style of writing and description is fantastic. She created characters in this story which were realistic, flawed and loveable. The dynamic between the two main characters was really strong and entertaining to read.  In general the pace of the novel was leisurely but the climax of the novel was something else and left my heart pounding. I would recommend this to anyone who likes mystery or character development. I would particularly recommend this to readers who are considering crime fiction as a genre but don’t know where to start, as the focus on character means at certain points you forget this is a crime novel as you become so attached to the personal entanglements of Cormoran Strike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment