Thursday 16 January 2014

First ever Read-A-Thon Wrap Up

I don't know if wrap up as a title is used in blogs or whether it is fundamentally for reviewers who use you tube as their main forum. Either way, I'm sure the youtubers won't mind that I've borrowed their well loved phrase. As I'm sure you've guessed,  this blog is dedicated to reviewing the books that I have read over the Bout of Books read-A-thon. I was really lucky as I enjoyed all of them! 

The first book I read was Sailing to Sarantium by Guy Gavriel Kay which is a fantasy novel which has 524 pages and it is the first book in a series. This book follows an artist Caius Crispin as he journeys from his home town to the mystical kingdom called Sarantium.  Out of the three novels I read, this was my least favourite of the three as there were times when the writing style frustrated me. The author would sometimes feel it necessary to point out if a situation was ironic which I personally felt detracted from the story as I felt the writer was focussing on showing off rather then on moving the story forward. However, there was some beautiful imagery intertwined throughout this novel and I thought the story itself was interesting so I will pick up the second one. 

The second book I read was Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith which is 161 pages . This book is told from the dual perspectives of two sisters who have both moved back into their Grandparents house and it follows their journey as they fall in love and learn more about each other as well as the world around them. There is a lot more to this book then I feel I can reveal without ruining it for whoever reads this review so I will stop there. Just know that this is the most seamlessly charming and profound story that I have probably ever read. I can't wait to re-read it and I plan to make all my friends read this story too!

The final book I read this week was The Ocean at The End Of the Lane by Neil Gaiman which was 243 pages. I am going to do a full review and possibly discussion piece on this novel as I loved it so very much so keep your eyes peeled for that. Its the first novel I have ever read by Neil Gaiman and I just want to read more of his work as this story was just fantastic. 

Overall I managed to read 928 pages. I am really proud of this as I was back at work this week and I caught an illness. I normally average around one book a week so I read 300 pages so I have tripled what I usually read! I hope everyone else had a great read-a-thon! Please let me know how it went in the comments below :)


No comments:

Post a Comment