Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Good Girls Guide to Getting Lost: A memoir of three friends, two continents and one unexpected adventure by Rachel Friedman

This was the perfect introduction to travel memoirs for me at this moment in my life. This memoir focusses on the story of  Rachel, a twenty year old american who falls in love with travel after a spontaneous trip to Ireland the summer before her final year in college, which completely contrasts her usual planned good girl image. In Ireland she meets an australian girl called Carly who appears to be the epitomy of travel chic. Post college she decides to travel further and reunites with Carly in Australia and they both decide to travel to South America.  I felt instantly connected to Rachel and how she talked about her experiences. I loved the fact that she did not shy away from the difficulties of being away from home or the fear that is often felt, but no one really talks about. I felt similar to her on so many levels particularly this idea of being a good girl. This idea of being defined by education and getting all of your self esteem from grades. Or, on a deeper level being defined by other peoples expectations of you.  I am known as the typical good girl and am currently on my gap year and living abroad in Paris so this book really spoke to me. This memoir also really inspired me to travel more, Friedman's description of all of her locations made me want to see all of these wonders for myself. I would recommend this to anyone who has ever held the title of a good girl and to anyone who has ever found that title slightly oppressive or negative. Moreover, I would recommend this to anyone who loves travel or who are considering the idea of travel. This book is not great for factual advice, but ultimately that doesn't matter because it was just so absolutely brilliant and what I needed to hear at this moment in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment