Saturday 18 January 2014

The Ocean at The End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

I have already mentioned in my previous post how much I love this story, but I loved it so much I felt it required a post of its own. There has been a lot of hype around this book from the Booktube and blogging community. I am here to tell you that this novel is more than worthy of this hype. Firstly, the writing style is just incredible. Gaiman manages to create vivid fantastical images whilst being concise so it doesn't detract from the fast paced nature of the story. Secondly, his character development. The novel is mainly told from the perspective of a seven year old boy who is never named. Yet despite the fact we don't even know these basic details about the protagonist, I completely fell in love with him. He was a realistic heart warming figure.Finally, the plot itself. The plot is unique and completely different to anything I have ever read prior to this story. I don't want to reveal too much as I feel it is best to go into this novel knowing very little about the content, all I can say is you are missing out if you don't read this novel as soon as is humanly possible. There is a high possibility that as a new reviewer, I have failed to do this work justice so instead I will leave you with the words of Gaiman himself; 

"The Ocean at the End of The Lane is a novel of childhood and memory. It's a story of magic, about the power of stories and how we face the darkness inside each of us. It's about fear, and love, and death and families. But, fundamentally, I hope at its heart. it's a novel about survival" Neil Gaiman 


No comments:

Post a Comment